Friday, May 9, 2008

Thing #11: LibraryThing

I logged onto LibraryThing to create an account, when what to my wondering eyes should appear but an established acount and something to leer. (Leer means to read in Spanish so it kind of makes sense, but rhyming is not my forte!) I really couldn't believe my eyes when I tried to create an account, and LibraryThing notified me that the username I wanted to use was already taken. I searched my various email accounts, trying to find an email that welcomed me to LibraryThing. Nothing. So then I clicked the link to this mystery account, trying to glean some information about this thief who stole my username. Hmm, it appears that this person who took my username, might actually be me. After all, this person had added just one book to her catalog; it was Gone with the Wind. Either I'd entered the twilight zone, or I'd developed a severe case of amnesia.

When I dscovered that GWTW had been added to this user's LibraryThing, I figured I might as well try logging onto this person's account. If the username and password matched, then that account must belong to me. I was successful but a little embarassed that I couldn't remember doing something that wasn't that long ago; it was only November for heaven's sake. What else belongs to me that I've forgotten about? A Swiss bank account with millions in gold? I wish! (Thanks, Meg R. for that idea!)

The books I added to LibraryThing run the gamut from very popular to obscure. I've had fun discovering other readers' tags, and I like LibraryThing's suggestions for books I might like to read.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/vhaeder

No comments: