Friday, May 9, 2008

Thing #12: NetLibrary & WorldCat

Establishing a user acount with NetLibrary was easy enough, and using it is pretty simple. If I could find the hardcopy version of the book I was looking for, I would definitely choose that over its electronic equivalent. But if worse came to worse, then I'd use this feature and suggest customers do the same. I still believe that nothing takes the place of a tangible book. A book that you can hold and feel is easier on the eyes, and I just couldn't curl up in a cozy corner with my laptop and feel the comfort I do with a touchable book.

WorldCat is a great resource, and I use it at least once every work day to help with ILL requests. I once used WorldCat to create a bibliography for a patron. What a great feature; it saved me the trouble of cutting and pasting from the WorldCat results into Word.

There are a lot more libraries that own Ocean County: Four Centuries in the Making than I would have expected--29 libraries and one as far west as Wisconsin!

No comments: